Thursday, January 27, 2011

Dramatic Turkish Pottery




It just occurred to me, that it seems that proper craftsmanship and meticulous works of patience are harder to come by nowadays. It is much easier to find mass produced items that have no identity.




Click to enlarge

This is one of the reasons why I love these pieces of Turkish pottery that I have at home. I had bought these at the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul a couple of years ago and I am very glad that I managed to bring them back home in one piece, err well 8 pieces, to be exact. These are close up pictures a set of dishes or bowls for Turkish mezzes. Obviously, I am not using them other than for decorative purposes, as they are too beautiful to risk breaking.

Click to enlarge
Turkey has a strong tradition of pottery making, with its famous İznik ceramics, named after the Turkish town with the same name. Definitely a must-see for visitors to Turkey are the beautiful (and numerous) pottery shops, historical buildings (Topkapı Palace and the Blue Mosque to name a few!) and pottery factories (not just in İznik!) which all present a feast for the eyes for those who appreciate the hard work that goes into such pieces.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Blogger Templates